On August 6, 1936, the late Rev. Wyman Chester Kinard (W.C.) and eighteen people were called together and they organized St. Philip’s Christian Church. They held their first meeting in a small storefront located at 365 South Fifth Street in Williamsburg Brooklyn, New York.
In 1950, Rev. W.C. Kinard suffered a severe stroke which left him completely paralyzed on his right side. He never recovered from this illness and went to his reward in 1955. During the year of Rev. W.C Kinard’s illness, St. Philip’s Christian Church became disorganized. During this period a majority of St. Philip’s members joined other existing Disciples of Christ churches.
On Sunday, September 27, 1953, at a small storefront located at 561 Greene Avenue in Brooklyn, NY, St. Philips reorganized and held its first meeting. Rev. David L. Kinard Sr., son of Rev. W.C. Kinard served as pastor. The church was reformed with six adult members: Sis. Mary Kinard, Sis. Ruth Kinard, Sis. Edith McMillan, Sis. Clara Miley, Bro. Wyman Chester Stevens, and Sis. Josephine Steven Mason.
On March 14, 1963, St. Philip’s purchased its first property at 345 Throop Ave, and worshiped at that location for 34 years. During these years 7 ministers, 2 Elders, 12 Deacons and 15 Deaconess were ordained into Christian service.
In the early 1980’s Rev. James Dickerson served as our Assistant Pastor. In the summer of 1980, Rev. David L. Kinard Sr. announced his retirement as Pastor of St. Philip’s. Rev. David L. Kinard then served as pastor emeritus until his home going in September of 1981. On June 28, 1981 Rev. Magdalen Shelton, daughter of David Lee Kinard Sr. was installed as our pastor and led us until her retirement in 2006. Through the years God has blessed us with a plenitude of ministries.
Akula Injili | Drama Ministry | Steps to Zion | Buds of Promise | Anew Community Daycare Umoja | Friday Christian Hip Hop | Food Pantry | Feeding Program | Chi Rho | and many more…
On February 15, 1998 the congregation moved to a brand new edifice at 765 Lafayette Avenue, Brooklyn, NY. After 25 years of dedicated exemplary service as pastor, Rev. Dr. Magdalen Shelton announced her retirement in 2006. St. Philips then called Rev. Solomon Kinard to serve as Interim pastor. In July of 2007 Rev. Leslie G. Christie was installed as pastor and served until December 2008. During 2009 the ministry team, Rev. Solomon Kinard, Rev. Dr. Lonnie Oates, Rev. Pamela Vance, Rev. David L. Kinard Jr., and Minister Claudette Brown shared pastoral duties. In June of 2010 St. Philip’s called Elder NaRon Tillman to serve as interim pastor. Elder Tillman served in this role until, October 23, 2011, when he was installed our pastor.
Recently, our gracious Lord has blessed us with a Multi- Purpose Center. This property, called The Inner Court/Stuy Dome, serves as a reminder of God’s blessings and gives us a opportunity do ministry at a greater level.